Christmas cookies

One of my favorite holiday traditions is baking Christmas cookies. When I lived in Munich, Germany a few years ago, I learned how to bake "Plaetzchen" with my German roommate. A few days before Christmas, people bake many different types of cookies - shortbread, cinnamon stars, vanilla moons - and then give them as a Christmas present to family and friends.

I still bake Plaetzchen every year, spending a whole day in the kitchen with friends preparing up to five different types of cookies. In spite of being in the Caribbean and on charter, I did not give up on my Christmas tradition this year and baked my favorite cookies with the help of the two kids who were on board. It was a great success - even though of course none of the cookies actually made it to Christmas day!

Below is my recipe for the simplest type of Plaetzchen I bake. They can be decorated with icing, melted chocolate, jam, caramel, but they are also delicious on their own!



INGREDIENTS:

- 300 grams Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 100 grams Sugar
- 1 packs Vanilla sugar
- 1 Egg
- 150 grams Butter

METHOD:

1. Prepare the dough by mixing all the ingredients.
Leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

2. Thin the dough with a rolling pin.
Cut shapes with cookie cutters and place on a baking sheet.

3. Bake 8 to 10 min at 200C.

4. Decorate with melted chocolate, icing or layer jam or caramel between 2 and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Transatlantic Adventure

The perfect finish

Big boat watching at the St Barths Bucket